Generic Name : zafirlukast
Brand Name: Accolate
Don't use plagiarized sources. Get Your Custom Essay on
zafirlukast Nursing Considerations & Management
Classification: Antasthmatic, Leukotriene receptor antagonist
Pregnancy Category B
Dosage & Route
Available forms : Tablet—10, 20 mg
ADULTS AND CHILDREN > 12 YR
- 20 mg PO bid on an empty stomach.
PEDIATRIC PATIENTS 5–11 YR
- 10 mg PO bid on an empty stomach.
- Zafirlukast selectively antagonizes the leukotriene D4 receptor. It inhibits bronchoconstriction caused by various inhaled antigens or irritants. It is not used in acute asthma attacks.
- Prophylaxis and long-term treatment of bronchial asthma in adults and children > 5 yr
- Unlabeled use: Chronic urticaria
- GI disturbances, headache, myalgia, generalized pain, fever, dizziness, raised LFT, respiratory tract infections, hypersensitivity reactions, Churg-Strauss syndrome.
- Potentially Fatal: Severe hepatotoxicity.
- Hypersensitivity, hepatic impairment, cirrhosis, acute asthmatic attacks. Lactation.
- History: Hypersensitivity to zafirlukast; impaired renal or hepatic function; pregnancy, lactation; acute asthma or bronchospasm
- Physical: T; orientation, reflexes; R, adventitious sounds; GI evaluation; LFTs, renal function tests
- Administer on an empty stomach 1 hr before or 2 hr after meals.
- Ensure that drug is taken continually for optimal effect.
- WARNING: Do not administer for acute asthma attack or acute bronchospasm.
- Take this drug on an empty stomach, 1 hour before or 2 hours after meals.
- Take this drug regularly as prescribed; do not stop taking it during symptom-free periods; do not stop taking it without consulting your health care provider.
- Do not take this drug for acute asthma attack or acute bronchospasm; this drug is not a bronchodilator; routine emergency procedures should be followed during acute attacks.
- Avoid use of over-the-counter medications while using this drug; many of them contain products that can interfere with drug or cause serious side effects. If you think that you need one of these products, consult your health care provider.
- You may experience these side effects: Dizziness (use caution when driving or performing activities that require alertness); nausea, vomiting (eat frequent small meals); headache (analgesics may be helpful).
- Report fever, acute asthma attacks, severe headache.